This course is for those who would like to become an MHFAider®, whether in the workplace or as individuals, to gain the knowledge and skills to spot signs of people experiencing poor mental health and be confident to start a conversation and signpost a person to appropriate support.
In addition to the course, you will become part of the largest MHFAider® community in England, gaining access to resources, ongoing learning and 24/7 digital support through the MHFAider Support App® to give you the tools and knowledge you need to carry out the role effectively and confidently whether that be in your workplace a volunteer role or in the community.
How to book
As an MHFAider®, you will be able to:
- Recognise those experiencing poor mental health and provide them with first-level support and early intervention
- Encourage a person to identify and access sources of professional help and other supports
- Practise active listening and empathy
- Have a conversation with improved mental health literacy around language and stigma
- Discuss the MHFAider® role in depth, including boundaries and confidentiality
- Practise self-care
- Know how to use the MHFAider Support App®
- Know how to access a dedicated text service provided by Shout and ongoing learning opportunities with MHFA England
- The online 2-day course is structured across four flexible sessions covering 14 hours of content in total.
- Each session is a maximum of 3hrs 45mins.
- Learning takes place through a mix of instructor-led training, group discussions individual and group activities.
- Each session builds on the previous one, enabling the learner to gain confidence in supporting others using the MHFA action plan.
- Numbers are limited to 16 per course so learners can be kept safe and supported whilst they learn.
- Learning content will be as accessible and inclusive as possible (please contact if additional support is required).
- Everyone who completes this course gets the following:
- A hard copy workbook to support their learning throughout the course
- A digital manual to refer to whenever they need it after completing the course
- A wallet-sized reference card with the Mental Health First Aid action plan
- A digital MHFAider® certificate
- Access to the MHFAider Support App® for three years
- Access to ongoing learning opportunities, resources and exclusive events
- The opportunity to be part of the largest MHFAider® community in England
How to book
New course and benefits
The workplace has changed for people and organisations. In the last few years, we’ve seen a global pandemic, economic downturns, cost of living pressures, adaptation to hybrid working the great resignation and a recruitment crisis. It has taken a toll on employees, and now – more than ever – they need mental health support in the workplace.
Mental Health First Aiders (MHFAiders®) are crucial to helping boost employee wellbeing as we adjust to a profoundly changed workplace environment. But while MHFAiders® work to support others, they need support too.
At MHFA England, providing support, building confidence and growing a community to drive change is crucial to us. It isn’t a footnote or a half-hearted line in the small print. We’ve spent 15 years generating conversation around workplace mental health, and we understand that being an effective MHFAider® requires learning and support beyond training.
That’s why we offer ongoing support to help MHFAiders® feel confident and empowered – long after they’ve completed their training course.
Additionally, MHFAiders® receive access to exclusive events to continue developing their support for your workplace beyond the training course.
- The MHFAider Support App® provides training resources and ongoing learning opportunities so that MHFAiders® can improve their support skills on the job.
- MHFAiders® can help organise their roles with reminders and secure conversation journaling to reflect on their work safely.
- The MHFAider Support App® works to support the MHFAider® own mental health – the resources within can teach critical self-care skills with the emotion tracker function allowing them to chart their own wellbeing.
- The app provides 24/7 text support for when MHFAiders® are feeling overwhelmed or need guidance for certain situations.
- MHFAiders® have access to regular online events that provide further learning and support, allowing them to continue to perform their role confidently and effectively long after receiving their initial training.
- Payment must be made before attending the course, as this will convert you to a delegate and trigger the provision of your course resources.
- Confirmation of payment and your booking will be confirmed by email. If you have not received this, don’t hesitate to get in touch with me.
- To cancel or reschedule, please be aware that only courses cancelled within 48 hours of booking can be refunded.
- No refund is available on any booking cancellation before the course start date after the 48-hour cooling-off period.
- A course booking can be rescheduled up to 7 days before the course start date. This can be rescheduled to either an online course or face-to-face.