- Do You Feel Exhausted and Overwhelmed by Stress?
- Do you currently smoke – smoking actually causes more stress
- Seemingly unending stress making you feel irritable, agitated, and unable to focus on the present
- Are you noticing symptoms of stress showing up as physical aches and pains
- Inability to slow down, relax, and enjoy yourself?
- Do you wish you could stop feeling overwhelmed and find time to take better care of yourself and enjoy your life
- You might notice other physical signs of stress but feel unsure of their connection to your lifestyle or mental and emotional wellbeing.
- Perhaps your shoulders, back, or other muscles are so tight and knotted that you feel pain and a sense of restriction all the time.
- Do you struggle with a constrictive feeling of fear, collapsing feeling of inadequacy, or the heaviness of sorrow?
- Are you on medication prescribed by your doctor….
Feeling like you're close to breaking point once in a while is perfectly human but feeling like that all the time certainly isn't.
In an extensive study of 10,000 people, Bupa have found that not only do 1 in 4 of us feel like this constantly, but that a shocking 44% of us suffer from stress. Do you also know that Sheffield, yes Sheffield is the second most stressed out city in the UK!
Let's be clear here, however, this sort of stress isn't the beneficial kind that helps us meet deadlines or pushes us the extra mile, this is the sort of long term condition that inevitably leads to anxiety and/or depression.
Stress is a universal feeling. It plagues humanity on all levels, whether at home, work or play. This is why it is critical to be able to cope and manage one’s stress. Unfortunately, many cannot accomplish this task on their own and require outside assistance.
The British ‘stiff upper lip’ attitude often prevents people from admitting how stressed they are to the detriment of their own health and wellbeing.
Interesting Facts about Stress
- A prominent cause of divorce among older Japanese couples is “retired husband syndrome.” Doctors first described the syndrome when wives began showing stress symptoms when made to manage their recently retired husbands who have nothing to do but bark orders at them all day long.
- 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress, after only two years of being retired.
- Colouring books for grown-ups are a huge trend and publishers struggle to keep up with demand. The books have successfully been used to reduce stress, relieve anxiety and as rehabilitation aids for patients recovering from strokes.
- There exists a song composed solely for stress testing auto-pianos and is not remotely playable by humans – Circus Galop.
- The sudden (seemingly overnight) onset of white hair due to stress is known as “Marie Antoinette Syndrome”, named after the ill-fated queen whose hair turned white the night before her walk to the guillotine.
50 Common Signs and Symptoms of Stress
How Stress Can Affect Our Bodies